Friends? Couples? Dating? Married? and etc, How do you talk to your friends? How do you talk to your girlfriend when your happy? How about when your sad? Or even angry? This topic came to me as I recently had a young couple call me up because they were have a disagreement, which is normal in any relationship. There was one thing that was interesting to me as I was listening to the issues over the phone, I overheard some not so nice words being thrown around.
I was taken back a bit. Is this normal ? Is this suppose to be normal? Is it ok? I took a second to process what I was hearing and had to call them back. I thought to myself would I like my husband to talk to me like that? I thought again would this person want to be talk to like that? I don’t think so.
I called the couple back and address there immediate concerns. After I was able to help them come to an agreement I address the not so nice words.
I gave them these few points to help them :
- Use your words to lift up not break down
- Words can escalate even the smallest disagreement
- You wouldn’t allow anyone to disrespect them, why would you?
- Taking a moment to put yourself in their shoes helps to see a different perspective
- When you feel your head getting hot take a second to regroup
- Remember you don’t want to hurt the other person
- Remember you wouldn’t want anyone talking to you any type of way
So next time you want to say something not so nice, take a second and think about it FIRST!!!! Disagreements are going to happen but how you handle it makes a world of a difference.
I really hope this was helpful!!! Any questions please don’t hesitate!!!